Reply To: My PC may be too old

Home Forums General Discussion My PC may be too old Reply To: My PC may be too old

John Morgan
Participant

My nearly 9 year-old laptop is finally getting to a point I’ve decided it’s time for a new desktop. Despite the specs being at FSX’s recommended, I never got FSX to work on it even with the sliders all at minimums. It used to run FS9 very well, but the past 3 years or so I’ve had more and more freeze-ups and CTDs. This weekend I had it freeze up and go berzerk on decent into MIA during a VATSIM event (which usually isn’t as taxing as running default ATC with all the AI traffic I’ve installed over the years). After 15 minutes, the sim started running again but dumped FSINN and SimACARS. I figured I’d at least land for the sense of completion. At about 100 feet AGL, it CTD’d. Had the wife not been home, the laptop may or may not have broken out the office window.

I forgot how frustrating computer shopping can be, and I’m still trying to figure out if it’s possible to get a decent gaming machine that isn’t lit up like some teenager’s Honda Civic. I don’t need the lights and I’m pretty sure I’m paying for all that lighting.

If you don’t mind my asking, Mike, what system did you get?

More Airline…Less Virtual