Introduction – Ian Robson

Home Forums General Discussion Introduction – Ian Robson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ian Robson
    Participant

Good day,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. As I’m sure you are aware I joined a couple of days ago and I’m working my way through Basic Indoctrination, although that Met exam was far from basic 😁.

I’m not going to rush the training as I want to derive value from it, so it may take me some time before I get airborne.

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Regards,
    Ian

MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

Hello Ian, and welcome!

Yes, please do not feel like you need to rush through it. It’s supposed to take a little time.

If you have any questions as you’re working your way through, don’t hesitate to ask. You can post in the training forum for the most visibility and likely the quickest response, or you can email training@midconair.net directly.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Ian Robson
    Participant

Just thought I’d post an update on my progress as it has been one month since I joined MidCon.

I’ve managed to complete the Basic Indoctrination course and I found it very enjoyable so far, ….well except for Meteorology 🙂 , I totally understand how important it is but it’s not a subject that I enjoy.

I’m on the 737 systems course now, but I’ve lost some of my free time so I’m only managing 1 – 2 units per week, …ish. I’m really enjoying this part of the training and I’m using 3 resources for these units, listed below, but I still come across questions which have me scratching my head. I think that’s because I haven’t read the whole FCOM yet.

– FCOM Revision 21 – Jan 2008
    – IXO Aviation B737NG Systems course – IXO B737NG Systems
    – Angle of Attack B737 Training, which I purchased back in 2012 for the PMDG but never really used it, so pleased to be getting my money’s worth at last. Angle of Attack

I am also enjoying watching FlightDeck2Sim videos on Youtube, which is giving me my flying fix as I find myself studying now instead of flying 🙂

Thanks for listening/reading and do let me know if there are any other avenues for communication within MidCon as it is very quiet here in the Flight Academy 🙂

Regards,
    Ian

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Ian Robson.
    Ian Robson
    Participant

I wrote a lengthy update on my training progress, posted it and then edited it and now it appears to have disappeared. I did have a cut and paste of the text (just in case), but the forum is telling me that is a duplicate post and won’t allow submission. I’m guessing this is something to do with forum moderation, but just thought I’d highlight it.

Ian

MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

Hi Ian,

It wasn’t a moderation thing, for some reason the system flagged it as a “spam” post, so I had to go back in and mark it as ok. It’s there now! 🙂

Thanks for posting the links.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the book-work and very glad you’re getting some value out of the AOA product. Several of us here have done, or in some cases still do aircraft systems training classes for a living, so we get it, very few really LIKE in-depth systems study but you’ll find that what you’re learning will pay off and make you a better virtual aviator. You’ll be glad you did it.

We do have the MidCon facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/midconairlines) but you’ll probably find that fairly quiet as well. We are slowing getting more pilots in the training pipeline but like you, they are heads-down in the books! 🙂

I’m sure you’ll start to see the boards become more active over time!

Mike

Ian Robson
    Participant

Thanks Mike.

John Morgan
    Participant

If you’re still working on the systems courses, I used http://www.smartcockpit.com when I was testing the original incarnation of the academy. Unfortunately, the site seems to have removed most of their resources but thanks the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org), I have found access to it all.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120506012641/http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/boeing/B737/

Ian Robson
    Participant

Thanks John,

I’ve given myself some time away from 737 system study over the last few weeks, but should be back behind the ‘desk’ later this week.

It’s certainly a slog to get to the point of actually flying the 737, would be good if there was some interim flight tests conducted in parallel with the system courses.

Ian

MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

Ian,

Thanks for the check-in and the suggestion.

Will see what we can come up with.

Thanks,

Mike

Ian Robson
    Participant

Hi All,

Well, after almost 5 months I’ve finally finished the Basic Indoctrination and Boeing 737 Systems courses 🙂

It’s been so long I’ve forgotten what comes next in the training so I’ll have to re-read the documentation 🙂

Ian

MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

Ian,

Congrats on grinding through it! This program has broken lesser men! LOL 🙂

I just sent you an email.

Mike

Ian Robson
    Participant

Sorry I haven’t been flying. I’m inbetween flightsim pc’s at the moment. Previous one died after 7 years of faithful, but often tempramental, service. Hoping to order my new pc towards the end of this week and be back flying again soon.

Hope I haven’t forgotten how to fly the 737 😁

Ian Robson
    Participant

New PC is ordered and is being built. Hope to have it in the next 7 days. Hi 😁

John Morgan
    Participant

Congrats. Hopefully you’ll find flying the 737 much easier with a newer computer. You’ll be surprised how much comes back after a flight or two.

Ian Robson
    Participant

Thanks John,

This has been the longest wait ever! I’ve been told it is being built but no news on dispatch as yet.

Apart from the PC being stable and issue free, I really hope I notice a big difference to justify the money I’ve spent…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More Airline…Less Virtual