New VATSIM Voice

Home Forums Air Traffic Control New VATSIM Voice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

All,

If you haven’t had the opportunity to try the new VATSIM voice, I encourage you to do so! It’s outstanding!

Kudos to all who was involved with the development and testing. Well done!

Mike

John Morgan
    Participant

I was excited to see the unveiling, and also glad I upgraded the computer and sim as the FS9 option is rather mediocre. I’m curious to see how much the simulated real-world radio limitations, and if they plan on ever adding weather-based effects. I’m hoping to test it out sometime within the week now that I’m getting more comfortable with the new sim and PMDG bird.

Any difficulties setting up the voice client?

MidCon Admin
    Keymaster

They’ve simulated distance-based degradation very well.

Not sure, but I don’t think they’ve simulated any effects of weather.

The voice client (vPilot) is extremely easy to set up. Simply download the and run the installer, make a few configuration choices and you’ll be up and running in minutes.

Let me know what you think!

Mike

John Morgan
    Participant

Now that I’ve had a few opportunities to try it, as you know, I really like the improvements. The half duplexing is a little frustrating during heavy traffic events only because so many still seem used to the old way and that buzz in the headset can get a little loud sometimes. The distance-based distortion is a nice touch.

I haven’t flown near any storms yet, so I don’t know if they’ve added any weather-based effects. It would be kind of cool to hear those static bursts from lightning strikes. I remember Reality-XP’s ADF gauge in the Flightline N package would spike toward lightning strikes as in the real-world along with getting wonky in certain weather conditions, so it is possible to simulate. Though the only possible issue I could see is since each sim is depicting the weather differently, it might be hard to talk between strikes when not everyone is avoiding talking through the same static bursts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More Airline…Less Virtual